|Etrian Odyssey V|
|Release Date||JP: August 4, 2016|
NA: October 17, 2017
Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth (世界樹の迷宮V 長き神話の果て Sekaiju no Meikyū V: Nagaki Shinwa no Hate, lit. Labyrinth of the World Tree V: End of the Long Myth) is the fifth main entry in the Etrian Odyssey series, preceded by Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan. The game was released in Japan on August 4, 2016, and was released internationally on October 17, 2017.
- This is the story of Yggdrasil, the world tree in the land of Arcania.
- Children of men pass down an ancient fable: “The power of the gods will be granted there...”
- Disciples of magic study an archaic myth: “The great mysteries shall be answered there...”
- Descendants of warriors recite their folklore: “The ultimate techniques can be mastered there...”
- Nomads of the plains exchange a fairy tale: “The lost treasures must be slumbering there...”
- From all across the land of Arcania, each culture pursues its own legends.
- They journey to Yggdrasil, yearning to reach the top and meet their destinies.
In the land of Arcania there exists an Yggdrasil Tree, which is said to be the reason there is peace in the world. According to legend, those who reach the top of the tree will have any dream come true. Each of the land's four races have their own legend regarding what the top of the tree holds, but nobody has ever seen it. Those who wish to challenge the Yggdrasil labyrinth and reach the top visit the city of Iorys, a city near the base of the tree, where they become official adventurers and are able to explore the labyrinth.
The game is set on the new continent of Arcania, which has its own Yggdrasil Tree. There are four races inhabiting the continent: Earthlain (human), Celestrians (elves), Therians (beast-like humans), and Brounies (dwarves/hobbits), each one being able to take on different classes when creating party members. In addition, the player will be able to change their chraracters' hair, skin, and eye colour (for each eye separately), and all party members now feature partial (and customizable) voice acting, which was previously exclusive to Story Mode parties in the Untold remakes.
Etrian Odyssey V features ten classes, each one being exclusive to a certain race from the start; however, players will eventually gain the ability to reclass a character regardless of race, keeping their portrait and basic stat spread. The Earthlain have access to four classes, while the others have two to choose from. Rather than the subclassing system of past games, the Legendary Title system is used. By mastering a specific class, the player can give their character one of two Legendary Titles available for that class, allowing that character to learn new skills and giving them unique characteristics depending on the title (including an altered stat growth).
|New Adventurer 1||JP: August 4, 2016||¥300||Adds the "School Uniform Boy" option to the character customization options.|
|New Adventurer 2||JP: August 4, 2016||¥300||Adds the "Sailor Uniform Girl" option to the character customization options.|
|New Adventurer 3||JP: August 4, 2016||¥300||Adds the "Sweater Girl" option to the character customization options.|
|New Adventurer 4||JP: August 4, 2016||¥300||Adds the Etrian Odyssey Protector illustrations to the character customization options.|
|New Adventurer 5||JP: August 4, 2016||¥300||Adds the Etrian Odyssey Medic illustrations to the character customization options.|
|New Adventurer 6||JP: August 4, 2016||--||Adds the Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard Gunner illustrations to the character customization options. Available as a code in the Famitsu launch edition.|
|Adventurer Training Program||JP: August 4, 2016||¥300||Allows the player to accept the "Adventurer Training Program" quest, which gives the player a lot of EXP and an item that triples the amount of EXP earned.|
|Adventurer Better Luck Program||JP: August 4, 2016||¥300||Allows the player to accept the "Adventurer Better Luck Program" quest, which gives the player a lot of Ental and an item that increases the drop rate of conditionless items to 100%.|
|FM Synthesis BGM||JP: September 1, 2016||¥800||Adds the option to play the game using an FM version of the soundtrack, similar to previous games.|
Reception and sales
Etrian Odyssey V was rated favorably by Famitsu magazine, which gave the title a combined 35/40 score (8/9/9/9). The reviewers praised the expanded character creation system, and noted that, despite the fundamental gameplay going unchanged, the game still felt fresh with the "mini-events" that occur in the labyrinth and the expanded class abilities.
- sickr (March 1, 2016). Japan: Etrian Odyssey V Coming + 4th On Nintendo 3DS. My Nintendo News. Retrieved March 1, 2016
- Official Etrian Odyssey V Japanese website. Retrieved May 30, 2016.
- Sato (March 22, 2016). Etrian Odyssey V Details Its 10 Classes, 4 Races, And Other New Features. Siliconera. Retrieved May 24, 2016.
- Sato (March 1, 2016). Etrian Odyssey V Shares Details On Its New Races, Classes, And More. Siliconera. Retrieved March 1, 2016.
- Sato (May 9, 2016). Etrian Odyssey V Trailer Highlights Its Races, Classes, Titles, And Other Features. Siliconera. Retrieved May 24, 2016.
- Sato (July 12, 2016). Etrian Odyssey V’s First Batch Of DLC Brings Schoolgirl Outfits, Helpful Quest, And More. Siliconera. Retrieved July 26, 2016.
- Romano, Sal (July 26, 2016). Famitsu Review Scores: Issue 1443. Gematsu. Retrieved August 11, 2016.
- Brian (August 7, 2016). Etrian Odyssey V gets first review in Famitsu. Nintendo Life. Retrieved August 11, 2016.
- Japanese Sales Chart Revealed; New 3DS LL Dethrones PS4, Wasteland 2 Enters to Top 20. Gameranx. Retrieved August 11, 2016.
- McFerran, Damien (August 18, 2016). 3DS Continues To Dominate Japan As Yo-Kai Watch 3 And Dragon Ball: Fusions Hold Top Places. Nintendo Life. Retrieved August 19, 2016.
- rawmeatcowboy (August 24, 2016). Japanese Software/Hardware Sales - Aug. 15 to 21st, 2016. GoNintendo. Retrieved August 25, 2016.
|v · t · eEtrian Odyssey V|
|v · t · eEtrian Odyssey Series|